Skinny Red Velvet Cake
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- Red food coloring (I used one little bottle from a 4 pack of food coloring)
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg + 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 ounces light Greek yogurt cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon skim milk
Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a bundt pan with cooking spray.
In a large mixing bowl, using a mixer on medium speed, beat together buttermilk, food coloring, vinegar, vanilla, oil, sugar, egg and egg white until well combined - about 3 minutes. Sift in cocoa powder, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, salt and flour. Beat on low speed until just combined.
Pour batter into pan. Bake 40-45 minutes or until well risen, slightly cracked on top, and a toothpick inserted into cake comes out with moist crumbs attached. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan and placing on a platter. When cake is fairly cool, drizzle with cream cheese icing.
To make the cream cheese icing, in a medium bowl, using a mixer on medium speed, beat together cream cheese, butter and vanilla until creamy, Beat in confectioners' sugar and milk until well combined.
Makes 8 servings