Secretly Healthy Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon melted unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini (peeled)
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips plus additional for topping
Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 12 cup muffin pan with paper liners.
In a medium mixing bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a large mixing bowl, using a mixer on medium speed, beat together butter, brown sugar, applesauce, honey, vanilla and egg until well combined. Reduce mixer speed to low and beat in zucchini until combined. Beat in flour mixture until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips until combined.
Divide batter into muffin cups. Sprinkle additional chocolate chips on top. Bake 15-20 minutes or until well risen and a toothpick inserted into muffin comes out with moist crumbs attached. Cool on a wire rack.
Makes 1 dozen muffins